Why Do I Have Allergies?
Environmental causes such as animal hair and dander, food, environmental chemicals, or pollen may cause allergies.
We understand living in Central Texas there may be times of the year you suffer from more severe symptoms, or may suffer from what is commonly referred to as Cedar Fever here in Austin.
ADC's allergy and immunology specialists are trained in treating and helping to alleviate the pain and discomfort your allergies may bring.
Common Allergy Symptoms
- Itchy ears, eyes, throat or skin
- Runny nose and congestion
What are Some Symptoms of Asthma?
Patients with asthma may experience breathing difficulties that often cause chest tightness, coughing, wheezing, or whistling noises when inhaling or exhaling.
Our Austin asthma specialists are committed to helping you treat and manage your asthma. We'll help you determine whether you simply need over the counter remedies or prescription inhalers and anti-inflammatory medications.
What Causes Asthma?
For some individuals, asthma attacks may be triggered by:
- Cold or dry air
- Air pollution
- Some medications
- Stressful situations that heighten emotions
- Preservatives, sulfites and other chemicals found in processed foods
- Environmental or occupational chemicals or pollutants
- The onset of the menstrual cycle
- Family history
- Being overweight
Allergy and Asthma Diagnosis and Treatment
If you or someone you know struggles with asthma or allergies, visit our doctors to see how we can help you feel and breathe better.
Our doctors offer a variety of tests to help diagnose and treat asthma and allergies:
- Skin Testing: For allergies to inhalant (airborne) materials, foods, various venom from common insects and medications
- Patch Testing: For contact allergic reactions
- Ingestion Challenge Test (Food Allergy Testing): For allergies to foods or medications
- Spirometry: Testing for lung function
- Exercise Challenge Testing: For exercise-induced breathing problems
Your allergist can discuss these tests with you and determine the best and most effective treatment plan for your needs including immunotherapy (allergy shots) or allergy drops.